- Lie on your back and make yourself comfortable.
- Practice each stage of this meditation technique for approximately five inhales and exhales.
- First watch your breath for several rounds, without controlling it.
- Observe the lengths of the breath and where you feel the body expanding and softening with each inhale and exhale.
- Place your hands on your abdomen and begin “belly breaths”; feel the breath rise in your belly.
- Next, place your hands on your ribs. On each inhale breathe into the abdomen and then the mid-chest.
- Breathe out from the mid-chest and then the abdomen.
- Finally, place your hands on your upper chest. Breathe into the abdomen, mid-chest and then the upper-chest. Then reverse.
Record this on Voice Memos if it helps to listen instead of read.
Length of Exercise: Approx. 10 mins
USE: For calming the mind; connecting to the breath
The breath moves like a wave, from the lower part to the upper part with each inhale, and from the upper part to the lower part with each exhale.
Questions to reflect on…
Was this the first time you breathed this way?
What was the effect on your body and mind?