The next time you are having negative thoughts, and being self-critical, take a moment and see if you can become curious of your thoughts. See if you can look at them a little differently, and find, if anything, what might be behind the thought.
Have a pen and paper ready for this.
- Make yourself comfortable and close your eyes.
- Take a few breaths to centre yourself.
- Focus on your breath, coming in and going out. Observe your thoughts.
- Take a moment, then open your eyes, and write down your thoughts.
- Continue taking long, deep breaths. As thoughts come up, try to hear the heart of the matter behind your thought. You can “befriend” the thought, accepting it with kindness and gratitude.
- Be curious of the thought. Where did it come from? How long have you had this thought for?
- Ask the thought questions if it helps, “Where did you come from thought?” “Can you tell me why you’re here now?” “Are you trying to tell me something?”
- Write down what you discover.